It's the healthiest smoothie ever. Why so? - you may ask.
Well, there are 3 reasons which make it stand out from other shakes:
1. it doesn't contain dairy, not even a gram of casein.
2. It has green veggies in it - green ones are the healthiest of them all.
3. There's flaxseeds - this humble ingredient is a true super food but I'll get back to it later.
What I especially like about this smoothie is that it contains green veggies but I don't feel their taste. Yippee!
This shake may not be the sweetest of them all but, most importantly, I don't get to taste spinach and cucumber (got to admit they aren't my favourites).
The below is serving for two persons:
- 2 ripe bananas (the ones with brown spots are the best, below bananas were only for the photo )
- 2 nectarines
- 1 orange
- 1-2 small cucumbers
- handful of spinach baby leaves
- 2 tablespoons of flaxseeds
It's important to wash the fruits and veggies thoroughly, only bananas and flaxseeds get away from washing.
Blend bananas, nectarines, cucumbers and spinach. Unless you've got very sensitive stomach, don't peel nectarines and cucumbers - there's loads of vitamins right under the skin.
Juice the orange. I use glass squeezer - it's the safest option. Don't use plastic or metal squeezers as they may interact with fruit acids. Besides, glass is easy to wash.
Grind the flaxseeds. I use good old coffee grinder. They don't have to be grinded finely - it's all about breaking the seeds to get the benefits which are hidden inside.
Interestingly, these humble seeds are in fact very powerful remedy for many health issues:
- flaxseeds have loads of omega-3 fatty acid - much more than overhyped salmon.
- They are source of phytoestrogens which help prevent breast cancer.
- They're pure fibre - forget about constipation and other digestion issues when eating flaxseeds on regular basis. Also, soluble fibre in these seeds decreases cholesterol level.
- They're great source of minerals - only 2 tablespoons of flaxseeds provide about 165 mg of potassium, 130 mg of phosphorus, 80 mg of magnesium and 50 mg of calcium. Isn't that brilliant?
- Flaxseeds are loaded with polyphenols which protect our bodies against oxidative stress, boost immune system and help our skin look young.
- They're crucial part of famous anti-cancer Budwig diet.
Useful hint: grind the flaxseeds and eat them immediately. The valuable fatty acids, unfortunately, oxidize very quickly.
By the way, did you know that the riper the banana the better? If banana has brown spots on it, it means that stodgy starch has turned into fructose - a natural sugar easy to digest and boosting our energy level. There are studies which show that ripe bananas help fight cancer.
Now, a few words on green veggies and why they're so good to our health.
Besides being a great source of vitamins, green veggies contain lots of chlorophyll. Chlorophyll is a "liquefied sun energy". It heals our internal organs and kills bacteria, fungus and cancer. Chlorophyll also cleanses our bodies from toxic metals, increases levels of erythrocytes and helps fight with diabetes. The list goes on and on - there's many more health benefits of chlorophyll.
Interestingly, green veggies are alkaline - they fight with body's acidification (typical 21st century issue).
OK, have I convinced you to give this smoothie a try?